Syntax of the CEILING Function
The syntax for the CEILING function is as follows:
Here, `❰number❱` is the value that needs to be rounded up, and `❰significance❱` is the multiple to which the number needs to be rounded up.
Example of the CEILING Function
Let’s say we want to round up the number 25 to the nearest multiple of 10. We can use the CEILING function as follows:
The output of this function would be 30, which is the nearest multiple of 10 that is greater than 25.
Using the CEILING Function in Power BI
To use the CEILING function in Power BI, we need to create a new measure. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open Power BI Desktop and go to the “Modeling” tab.
2. Click on “New Measure”.
3. In the formula bar, enter the CEILING function with the appropriate values for `❰number❱` and `❰significance❱`. For example, if we want to round up the “Sales” column to the nearest multiple of 1000, we can use the following formula:
Sales_Rounded = CEILING(Sales, 1000)
4. Click “Enter” to create the new measure.
Once the new measure is created, we can use it in visuals and analyses just like any other measure.
Benefits of Using the CEILING Function
The CEILING function can be used in a variety of scenarios, such as:
– Rounding up sales figures to the nearest thousand or million for easier reading and analysis.
– Rounding up financial numbers to the nearest dollar or cent for increased accuracy in budgeting and forecasting.
– Rounding up time values to the nearest 5 or 10 minutes for more efficient scheduling and planning.
Overall, the CEILING function is a powerful tool that can help streamline data analysis and enhance decision-making in Power BI.
The CEILING function in Power BI is a simple yet effective way to round up values to the nearest specified multiple. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily create new measures using the CEILING function and use them in your visualizations and analyses. Whether you’re working with sales figures, financial data, or time values, the CEILING function can help you achieve more accurate and efficient data analysis in Power BI.
Power BI DAX Training Courses by G Com Solutions (0800 998 9248)
Power BI DAX Intensive Training Course£1,050.00 – £26,550.00
Power BI DAX Introduction£395.00 – £9,750.00
Power BI DAX Intermediate£395.00 – £9,750.00
Power BI DAX Advanced£395.00 – £9,750.00