What is the CONVERT function?
The CONVERT function in Power BI is a DAX function that allows you to convert a value from one data type to another. The function takes three arguments: the value to be converted, the source data type, and the target data type.
The syntax of the CONVERT function is as follows:
CONVERT(value, source_type, target_type)
How to use the CONVERT function
To use the CONVERT function in Power BI, you need to follow these steps:
1. Start by opening your Power BI report and selecting the field that you want to convert.
2. Next, create a new measure by right-clicking on the field and selecting "New measure" from the context menu.
3. In the formula bar, type the following formula:
Converted_value = CONVERT(field_name, source_data_type, target_data_type)
4. Replace "field_name" with the name of the field that you want to convert.
5. Replace "source_data_type" with the current data type of the field.
6. Replace "target_data_type" with the data type that you want to convert the field to.
Here is an example of how to use the CONVERT function to convert a date field to a text field:
Converted_Date = CONVERT(Date_Field, DATE, TEXT)
After you have created the new measure, you can use it in your report just like any other measure.
Supported data types
The CONVERT function in Power BI supports a wide range of data types. Here are some of the most commonly used data types:
- TEXT: Converts a value to text.
- BOOLEAN: Converts a value to a Boolean value.
- DATE: Converts a value to a date.
- TIME: Converts a value to a time.
- DATETIME: Converts a value to a datetime.
- CURRENCY: Converts a value to a currency.
Using the CONVERT function in calculations
The CONVERT function can also be used in calculations to perform more complex operations. For example, you can use the CONVERT function to convert a currency value from one currency to another.
Here is an example of how to use the CONVERT function in a calculation to convert a currency value from USD to EUR:
Converted_Value = CONVERT(USD_Value, CURRENCY, EUR) * Exchange_Rate
In this example, "USD_Value" is the name of the field that contains the currency value in USD, "CURRENCY" is the source data type, "EUR" is the target data type, and "Exchange_Rate" is the exchange rate between USD and EUR.
The CONVERT function in Power BI is a useful tool that can help you to convert between different data types in your reports. By using this function, you can easily convert values between different data types such as dates, times, and currencies. With a little bit of practice, you can quickly become proficient in using this powerful function in your Power BI reports.