Syntax of the PMT Function
The PMT function in Power BI has the following syntax:
PMT(rate, nper, pv, [fv], [type])
– `rate`: The interest rate of the loan.
– `nper`: The total number of periods for the loan.
– `pv`: The present value of the loan.
– `[fv]` (optional): The future value of the loan. If omitted, the value is assumed to be 0.
– `[type]` (optional): A value of 0 or 1 that indicates when payments are due. If omitted, the value is assumed to be 0.
Examples of PMT Function
Let’s take a look at some examples of using the PMT function.
Example 1: Calculate the Loan Payment
Suppose you want to borrow $100,000 for a period of 10 years at an annual interest rate of 5%. To calculate the monthly payment for this loan, you can use the following formula:
=PMT(5%/12, 10*12, -100000)
This will return the value of $1,061.69, which is the monthly payment you need to make.
Example 2: Calculate the Loan Payment with Additional Parameters
Suppose you want to borrow $100,000 for a period of 10 years at an annual interest rate of 5%, but with a future value of $50,000. To calculate the monthly payment for this loan, you can use the following formula:
=PMT(5%/12, 10*12, -100000, 50000)
This will return the value of $716.14, which is the monthly payment you need to make.
Tips for Using PMT Function
Here are some tips for using the PMT function effectively:
1. Always use consistent units for the `rate`, `nper`, `pv`, and `fv` parameters.
2. Make sure the values you input for the `rate` and `nper` parameters are correct and correspond to the loan you are calculating.
3. If you are not sure about the value of the `type` parameter, use the default value of 0.
4. Remember to include the negative sign for the `pv` parameter, as this represents the amount you are borrowing.
5. Always double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.
In summary, the Power BI DAX function PMT is a useful tool for calculating loan payments. By understanding its syntax and following some tips for its usage, you can easily calculate the payment for any loan.
Power BI DAX Training Courses by G Com Solutions (0800 998 9248)
Power BI DAX Intensive Training Course£1,050.00 – £26,550.00
Power BI DAX Introduction£395.00 – £9,750.00
Power BI DAX Intermediate£395.00 – £9,750.00
Power BI DAX Advanced£395.00 – £9,750.00