What is the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function?
The NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function is a DAX function in Power BI that allows you to join two tables based on their common columns. It is a type of outer join, which means that it includes all the rows from one table and only the matching rows from the other table. The NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function is useful when you want to combine data from two tables that have common columns, but you only want to include the unique rows from each table.
How does the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function work?
The NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function works by comparing the columns in two tables and returning the rows that have matching values in those columns. It includes all the rows from the left table (the first table in the function) and only the matching rows from the right table (the second table in the function). If there are no matching rows in the right table, the function returns NULL values for the columns in that table.
How to use the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function in Power BI
To use the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function in Power BI, follow these steps:
1. Open the Power BI Desktop application and load the two tables you want to join into the data model.
2. In the Power BI Desktop application, click on the “Modeling” tab.
3. In the “Modeling” tab, click on the “New Measure” button.
4. In the “Formula Bar” at the top of the screen, type the following formula:
Replace “Table1” and “Table2” with the names of the tables you want to join.
5. Press “Enter” to execute the formula.
6. Rename the measure to something meaningful, such as “Joined Table”.
7. Drag and drop the measure onto a visual to see the results.
Tips for using the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function in Power BI
Here are some tips for using the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function in Power BI:
– Make sure that the columns you want to join on have the same data type in both tables.
– Use aliases for column names to make the formula easier to read and understand.
– If you want to include more than two tables in the join, you can use the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function multiple times in the same formula.
– The NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function is not case-sensitive, so you can use uppercase or lowercase letters in the table names.
The NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function is a powerful tool that can help you quickly and easily combine data from two tables in Power BI. By following the steps outlined in this article and using the tips provided, you can use the NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN function to streamline your data analysis and get better insights from your data.