What is the TOCSV function?
The TOCSV function in Power BI allows you to export data from a table or a matrix visualization to a CSV (Comma-Separated Values) file. CSV files are a common file format used for storing and exchanging data between different software applications.
With the TOCSV function, you can export data from a visualization to a CSV file with just a few clicks. You can choose which columns to include in the export, and you can even apply filters to export only a subset of the data.
How to use the TOCSV function
Using the TOCSV function in Power BI is straightforward. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the report that contains the table or matrix visualization that you want to export.
2. Select the visualization by clicking on it.
3. Click on the ellipsis (three dots) in the top right corner of the visualization.
4. Select “Export data” from the dropdown menu.
5. In the Export data dialog box, select the “CSV (comma delimited)” option.
6. Choose the columns you want to include in the export by selecting them from the list.
7. If you want to apply filters to the data before exporting, click on the “Filters” tab and apply the filters as desired.
8. Click “Export” to save the data to a CSV file.
That’s it! The data from the selected visualization will be exported to a CSV file.
Tips for using the TOCSV function
Here are some tips to make the most of the TOCSV function in Power BI:
– Use the “Filters” tab in the Export data dialog box to apply filters to the data before exporting. This allows you to export only the data you need, which can save time and reduce the size of the exported file.
– Choose the columns you want to include in the export carefully. Including unnecessary columns can make the exported file larger than necessary, which can make it more difficult to work with in other applications.
– Use the “Advanced options” link in the Export data dialog box to specify additional export settings, such as the delimiter character and the encoding of the exported file.
– Remember that the TOCSV function exports data as a flat table, regardless of the original structure of the visualization. This means that if the original visualization had nested rows or columns, the exported data will be flattened into a single table.
The TOCSV function in Power BI is a powerful tool that allows you to export data from a table or matrix visualization to a CSV file. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily export data from your Power BI reports and use it in other applications. Remember to choose your columns carefully and apply filters as needed to make the most of this function.