What is the UPPER function?
The UPPER function is a DAX function that allows you to convert text to uppercase. This can be useful when you’re working with data that contains inconsistent or mixed capitalization. By using the UPPER function, you can ensure that all your text is in uppercase, which can make it easier to filter and sort your data.
How to use the UPPER function
Using the UPPER function in Power BI is simple. Here’s an example of how to use it:
This formula will return the text “HELLO WORLD” in uppercase. You can replace “hello world” with any text you want to convert to uppercase.
You can also use the UPPER function with a column of text data. For example, if you have a column called “Product Name” that contains text data, you can use the UPPER function to convert all the text in that column to uppercase. Here’s how:
1. Create a new calculated column in your data model by clicking on “New Column” in the “Modeling” tab.
2. Enter a name for your new column, such as “Product Name (Uppercase)”
3. Enter the following formula in the formula bar:
4. Replace ‘Table’ with the name of the table that contains your “Product Name” column.
5. Click on “Enter” to create your new column.
Once you’ve created your new column, you can use it in your visualizations just like any other column.
Why use the UPPER function?
Using the UPPER function can provide several benefits for your data analysis. Here are some reasons why you might want to use the UPPER function:
- Consistency: By converting all your text to uppercase, you can ensure that your data is consistent and easy to read.
- Sorting: Uppercase text is often sorted differently than lowercase text. By converting all your text to uppercase, you can ensure that your data is sorted correctly.
- Filtering: Uppercase text is also easier to filter. By converting your text to uppercase, you can easily filter out irrelevant data.
The UPPER function is a powerful tool for managing text data in Power BI. By using this function, you can ensure that your data is consistent, easy to sort and filter. Whether you’re working with a single text string or an entire column of data, the UPPER function can help you get the most out of your data analysis.
Power BI DAX Training Courses by G Com Solutions (0800 998 9248)
Power BI DAX Intensive Training Course£1,050.00 – £26,550.00
Power BI DAX Introduction£395.00 – £9,750.00
Power BI DAX Intermediate£395.00 – £9,750.00
Power BI DAX Advanced£395.00 – £9,750.00